Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

R5 -> RD “Re-Frame” Build....

Started by AAAltered, September 04, 2019, 10:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAltered

7 years after Superstorm Sandy submerged my R5 completely under salt water, the frame rusted through.

Here is the bike that fateful week in 2012.  Note the 'high water' mark in the shed next to the bike:

Now that there is an obvious hole in my frame, I need to go ahead and build a new bike on a good frame using everything from the R5.

I've acquired a 75 RD350 frame.  It's in nice shape, I may not even send it out for blast/powder, I may just respray with a gloss industrial enamel (tbd in the coming weeks).

The very first order of business is to get a Vermont registration.  I've studied all the various info and posts here and elsewhere.  It seems that all I need is a Bill of Sale (got it), an application, and a check for tax/registration.  Apparently because it is "over 25 years old" and "less than 500cc" I don't even need a certified serial number verification, nor the bill of sale notorized.  (We will see!).

I sent off the money and forms to VT this morning.  Time will tell what the response is.  Ultimately I want to convert the VT registration to a NJ title but that is a long way off.  The VT registration, if granted will buy me a year.

Wish me luck. 

This build will probably take until next summer to get through, since I am going away for three months this winter.

Ed
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

abbott10r

Hey Ed! Keep us informed on how that Vermont registration goes. I am looking at a '75 RD350 really soon that doesn't have a title and I live in NY. Plan on making a race bike out of it but it would be nice to make it street legal for test/tune purposes. and maybe the occasional bike show with some make/shift lights hahah

Organicjedi

AAAltered

Quote from: Organicjedi on September 04, 2019, 12:15:27 PM
Bikes over 300cc will need a VIN certification by a cop, DMV, or a vehicle inspection station from what I understand. Keep us posted!

I read that Chin on the Tank article in the run up to my application.  I am almost 100% certain that he has a typo in there.  Note that the article is written by a member, not a cut/paste from the written VT rules.  When I compared that statement to the VT official rules, I think 500cc is the cutoff.  In any case I'll share results as they come one way or another....I can comply if I have to, I just don't think I need to. 

When Verification is Required
6. Motorcycles which are not titleable but are 500 cc's or more and have not been previously registered/titled to the applicant or have not been previously registered in Vermont are required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel listed below.

It's not titleable because it's old, it is less than 500cc.  We will find out.

Ed
1971 R5
1976 RD200

m in sc

its been done a bunch.

I was wondering how long that frame would last, i remember when it got flooded.

Organicjedi

Quote from: AAAltered on September 04, 2019, 01:43:33 PM
Quote from: Organicjedi on September 04, 2019, 12:15:27 PM
Bikes over 300cc will need a VIN certification by a cop, DMV, or a vehicle inspection station from what I understand. Keep us posted!

I read that Chin on the Tank article in the run up to my application.  I am almost 100% certain that he has a typo in there.  Note that the article is written by a member, not a cut/paste from the written VT rules.  When I compared that statement to the VT official rules, I think 500cc is the cutoff.  In any case I'll share results as they come one way or another....I can comply if I have to, I just don't think I need to. 

When Verification is Required
6. Motorcycles which are not titleable but are 500 cc's or more and have not been previously registered/titled to the applicant or have not been previously registered in Vermont are required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel listed below.

It's not titleable because it's old, it is less than 500cc.  We will find out.

Ed
500cc limit for the inspection would be great for RD fans.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

m in sc

just lie ont he displacement. they dont care. Pete did this with the h1  :devil:

AAAltered

Quote from: m in sc on September 04, 2019, 01:52:55 PM

I was wondering how long that frame would last, i remember when it got flooded.

It's been weeping for about 2 years, I sort of knew this was coming.  This past spring I found it a full rust-thru.  It's in a low stress area so I left it for this winter.  Meanwhile I had to straighten out my ignition problem so the bike hasn't gotten to many miles this year.

1971 R5
1976 RD200

AAAltered

Frame is all stripped and degreased.  3000psi washdown found areas that were not properly prepped for its last paint job.  Overall the frame is unmolested and in great overall shape....

1971 R5
1976 RD200

AAAltered

!!!!!! Vermont has cashed my check !!!!!!

No reg yet in the mail, but them cashing my check tells me I've cleared a big hurdle.

It's been 23 days, so I was starting to get anxious about the process.....
1971 R5
1976 RD200

RDFL

Quote from: AAAltered on September 27, 2019, 12:24:23 PM
!!!!!! Vermont has cashed my check !!!!!!

No reg yet in the mail, but them cashing my check tells me I've cleared a big hurdle.

It's been 23 days, so I was starting to get anxious about the process.....
How much $?

AAAltered

I used the NADA values for a "good" 1975 RD350 to calculate tax.  Tax and Reg cost me $120.

In the future I will be trying to flip the VT reg into a NJ Reg and Title, which will cost me again but it's all good once mission accomplished....
1971 R5
1976 RD200

Kawtriplefreak

They must be busy. The last one I did was about a week from the time I sent the money until the plate and registration arrived in the mail. The local DMV issued me a title on the spot after they dragged a big book out from under the counter and verified that VT is a non title state for motorcycles ( 15 years or older if memory serves). 500 CC is the cut off for hassle free registration as mentioned above. My 75 RD350 cost $86 to do several years back.

RDFL

So you get plate too so registered and title not just title, even better.

AAAltered

Quote from: RDFL on September 27, 2019, 08:11:09 PM
So you get plate too so registered and title not just title, even better.

No, that's the 'catch'.  You *dont* get a title.  You get a legit registration and plate from a "non-title" state, with no residency requirement, all by US Mail.

If you live a reasonable and cooperative (I'm in NJ so I still expect trouble ahead), you convert the VT registration at your home state DMV to a new registration and title for your state.

Alternately you could ride forever with the VT registration.  Selling the bike down the road would still be an issue.

I don't intend to do the home state flip until the bike is built, sometime next spring but in any case, having a registration and plate gives me the green light to proceed with my project.
1971 R5
1976 RD200