News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

R5 -> RD “Re-Frame” Build....

Started by AAAltered, September 04, 2019, 10:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Yeah the DMV lady here in VA said she didn't understand how a VT registration could have a VA address and I told her that VT is a non title state and that is what VT DMV gave me when I submitted my bill of sale. She got the big book out then and it told her that she had to issue me a VA title. I could tell she wasn't happy about it. But she did it. She remembered me a couple years later when I came in with the VT registration for my RZ and processed it without question...

RDFL

Quote from: AAAltered on September 28, 2019, 10:01:48 AM
Quote from: RDFL on September 27, 2019, 08:11:09 PM
So you get plate too so registered and title not just title, even better.

No, that's the 'catch'.  You *dont* get a title.  You get a legit registration and plate from a "non-title" state, with no residency requirement, all by US Mail.

If you live a reasonable and cooperative (I'm in NJ so I still expect trouble ahead), you convert the VT registration at your home state DMV to a new registration and title for your state.

Alternately you could ride forever with the VT registration.  Selling the bike down the road would still be an issue.

I don't intend to do the home state flip until the bike is built, sometime next spring but in any case, having a registration and plate gives me the green light to proceed with my project.
Probably won't work out this way might be even better here, you can get title put in your name for not much ($40 or 70 or so don't remember) but to get registration and tag have to pay regular yearly fee $40 and a $300 new vehicle on road fee if you don't have valid tag and registration to move it to. But I assume would have to be a FL tag to avoid the $300, but also assume would quickly accept that to let you put title in your name, knowing sooner or later you or whoever you sell to will have to pay the $300 to get registration and tag.

RDFL

AAAltered

Quote from: RDFL on September 29, 2019, 10:44:32 AM
Did you have bill of sale notarized?

I did not. 

Rule doesn't state I needed to:

"Used Vehicles which have not been titled, and are not required to be titled:
• Bill of sale must contain sufficient information to identify the vehicle including Make, Year, VIN, Purchase Price, Mileage, Signature of Seller and Date of Sale"

Reading further, why doesn't this vehicle need to be titled....

"Vermont titles only vehicles that are 15 years old or newer based on calendar year. From 1/1/2019 – 12/31/2019 Vermont will title all vehicles with model year 2005 or newer. All Titles (except ATV) = $35.00, ATV Titles = $22.00. Lien fee = $11.00.". for me that's a FULL STOP although there are more rules below that statement

Regarding VIN certification, I also didn't do that.  See my comments in bold:

VIN Verification (use Vermont DMV form VT-010) is required for:
1. All used vehicles with out of state titles being registered/titled in the applicant's name for the first time are required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel listed below, unless purchased directly from a licensed dealer.  it doesn't have a title
2. Vehicles with Salvage Documentation from any state, including Vermont, are required to procure a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed below. it has no documentation at all
3. Vehicles being titled under bond are required to procure a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed below. not me
   4. Vehicles with registrations from any foreign country, including Canada are required to procure a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed below. not me
5. Vehicles over 25 years old, for which a Vermont resident is seeking an "exempt title" are required to procure a VIN verification from the Vermont personnel listed below. i am NOT a VT resident nor am I seeking a title since it's over 15 years old
6. Motorcycles which are not titleable but are 500 cc's or more and have not been previously registered/titled to the applicant or have not been previously registered in Vermont are required to procure a VIN verification from the personnel listed below. its NOT titleable beacuse of age, AND it's only 350cc

I suspect I will have the plate and reg any day now that the check is cashed. 

Here are the complete rules.  Granted, they do take some interpretation....

https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119i-Registration_App_Instructions_0.pdf
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

RDFL

AAAltered

Believe me i read the Chin on the Tank article about 10 times.  That article doesnt follow the actual written VT rules in some areas.  Thats why I sometimes inserted "BY MY INTERPRETATION" in my explanation. 

I'll update when I see the plate and regi in my mailbox.
1971 R5
1976 RD200

AAAltered

1971 R5
1976 RD200

davedogg

Nice Ed. I like the license plate bracket!
1969 Yamaha L5T Trailmaster,  1973 RD350,  1973 Honda CB350G,  1976 Yamaha RD400,
1983 Honda NU50,  1983 Vespa P200, 1997 Honda Nighthawk,  2012 Moto Guzzi V7

AAAltered

Back from Blast and Powder, I went with Satin Black Which still has some sheen....

My garage is now cramped due to a 450 Rebel taking up temporary residence...

1971 R5
1976 RD200

m in sc

AAAltered

Quote from: m in sc on October 15, 2019, 02:02:03 PM
450 rebel?

A friend aquired it and never got it started, it's been parked for a long time.  One long day in the garage, and it's running so it won't be here long lol.
1971 R5
1976 RD200

AAAltered

So it begins, the Rebel has vacated the garage.  Took the R5 for a final blast around town Sunday, and of course it's running better than ever.

Began the tear down today and took some notes. 

Considering:
- getting some stuff rechromed, once it's off I'll take it to the local chroming shop for an estimate (fenders, JSpooner Fender extenders, aluminum headlight ears, headlight rim...)

- want to get the seat re-stuffed, I like the seat look but have always hated the "pool noodle" filling in the Vietnam seat...

- thinking about a repaint in 1970 Purple/White, I've always liked that scheme.  But should I start with other tins?  The yellow paint isn't "bad" but no where near perfect.   If I only had a set of usable tins....

Save or repaint....

Here's what I would like:

1971 R5
1976 RD200

Czakky

Purple and white gets my vote.

It's so easy to spend somebody else's money :devil:

AAAltered

First estimate from a top notch vintage painter was $1450.
1971 R5
1976 RD200

Greaser Greg

Original is always better in my eyes. :twocents:  you just don't see that scheme very often where I live.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit