News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

2104 Grom.. 2t conversion

Started by m in sc, September 04, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

so, i finally swapped out the rear sprockets. went from a 35 rear, to a 32, then went to a 30 (the smallest they offer that i can run). its actually a 250 nighthawk (?) rear sprocket because its a 520 chain.  so, the final ratio is the (largest) front sprocket, 14t, and smallest rear, which is 30. thats a 2.14 ratio, which is insane on a bike, usually.

also dropped the main jet one size, which puts it lower than stock on jetting, but my suspicion is the velocity in the intake is so high, its just pulling a lot of fuel. which is ok. I can run it wot and it doesn't run warm and the plug  chops look perfect.

The interesting thing is its so smooth, its -almost- boring, but its overall not. weird.

:patriot:

SUPERTUNE

It's a elevated 2 stroke stocker!
Way better than a motocross engine....
Can't wait to see it in person at Deals Gap meet, maybe I'll feed Mark too many beers and steal it for a ride>>> :celebrate:

C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

Tuck

Nice Job, I bet it's a great wheelie machine. :vroom:

m in sc

Quote from: Tuck on February 14, 2020, 04:02:53 PM
Nice Job, I bet it's a great wheelie machine. :vroom:
Thnaks.  oddly, not as much as one would think, which is fine by me. i mean, it will but not unless you want it to or you slam it from gear to gear.

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

small update. fit an in-bar clamp flush water temp gauge from koso.

cleans up the look a bit.

also, did mileage runs monday, this was pretty typical, mixed riding.  31 mpg.

now, just need to mod the spare tank i have for more capacity, and the weather to be better.

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

nooooooo  :dawg:

I did a good long ride on it yesterday. zero issues for about 2 hours mixed riding, real world. ran through over 2 tanks of fuel. between final carb tuning and changing ratio to 40:1, i yielded 38.2 mpg.  :haw:
water temp out of the top of the radiator never went over 148, was 65 here yesterday??.

Im pretty happy with this. By comparison the fuel injected 170 4v was somewhere in the ball park of 42 and lived over 7k all the time.

I realised i should probably put the small luggage rack back on to haul oil. I have enough room under the seat to haul enough for almost 3 tanks but still, with a 1.6 gallon tank, thats not much.

Mechanically, i think shes sorted and reliable.  Now its time to get on modifying the spare fuel tank to take at LEAST  another .5-.7 gallons.
:vroom:

m in sc

as a follow up, did a group ride sunday. 2 hours? or so, close to 100 miles (we of course made stops).

hit 85 at one point running down a  triumph scrambler, surprised him pretty good when i passed him.

good day, zero issues, 34 mpg, water temp never went over 172, was 80 degrees out..

:cheerleader:

Kawtriplefreak

sav0r

How many wheelies does it do? All of them?
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

its not as nearly wheelie prone as you would think, i tired to avoid that with gearing, etc. however, it did launch it pretty good in 2nd gear coming out of a corner. it will come up shifting into 3rd pretty easy.  :toot:

85RZwade

Sounds like giggling-in-the-helmet fun  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much

niteowl

Sounds really cool! I have a clone version I've been eying for a swap. Didn't know about the counterbalancer in the Lt's -  like it!