Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

anybody ever tried this?

Started by Gil Gallad, November 04, 2019, 02:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil Gallad

thanks for the replies. so, after seeing a crack in the right side crankcase, right under and up to the base of the barrel i decided to take the engine out and put another bottom end in it. luckily i've got a few engines to play with. put the reed valve barrels etc on - the ones with the original thin reed petals - and kicked her over. afterfire. afterfire. afterfire. as well as kicking back. so i retarded the ignition a tad. still the same. so i retarded the ignition a lot. to the point of it shouldn't really run. then i was going to advance it slowly, degree by degree. BUT, it went first kick. amazing. still a bit blubbery when the revs drop, but it's running. the only problem i have now is the right cylinder is running a lot hotter than the left. electronic ignition with magnets at 180 degrees. i know i'll need to advance it a bit more, but heat on one side is baffling me. i'd know what to do if it was a f*ur stroke  ;D
cheers, gil.
p.s. thanks again for the help.

m in sc

is it one pickup 2 triggers? thats very hard to get correct. id baseline with points if you have them, then swap it over. 2 pickups 1 trigger. Ive been bit bad by ignitions before.

Gil Gallad

hi mate, you've seen my electronic ignition set up. same as a fiat 500  8) one pick-up and a red rotor ring on the end of the crank bolt. red rotor ring has 2 magnets in it at 180 degrees apart. i hate points, which is why i began experimenting with this system about 10 years ago. i fit it to all my gt engines, and a dt, an rg, even my old ajs 250csr has it. i run a one into 2 cbr600 coil - one coil and 2 ht leads. works perfectly and i have a box full of points, condensors and cams to prove it  ;D
cheers, gil.

m in sc

I get it, ive made plenty of my own.

but we all miss things on occasion, parts go bad, etc. . i'm just saying, establishing a baseline is just good diagnostics.