Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Garage Storage

Started by RattlecanResto, June 07, 2020, 05:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RattlecanResto

Trying to get my garage fixed up so I can set up my work area (moved to this new house about 1.5 years ago, but been focused on home renovations). First thing was to get organized and find a better place to store all my bike parts. See pics for the solution.

85RZwade

Great use of space! Where'd you find that?
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

well thats interesting !  :clap:

AtLarge

Looks like a home brew?  Garage door rails. Walmart totes?  Good Macgyvering.
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

rodneya

They sold a similar kit here in Canada.
A neighbor installed it using those plastic screw in drywall anchors. He had a few rude things to say when I told him it was not going to work.
His wife had a lot more rude things to say when it all landed on the roof of her car. We could hear her about 5 houses away.

m in sc

do a  quick google search for 'overhead bin storage' , apparently there's all sorts of varieties. and then there's this article to do your own.

its a great idea actually.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garage/storage/create-a-sliding-storage-system-on-the-garage-ceiling/

timely as i'll be moving soon

i like the set originally posted. waiting for link.  :toot:

RattlecanResto

https://keeptrack.store/

This guy is local to me and both track he is using he has custom made and patented. He told me he sells (on amazon?) diy kits but the price is pretty high.
You can also get the wire platform type shelf (this might be a better option for storing heavier items as long as you have enough legs to hold it) but I chose this system due to the clean look.
Originally I was planning on welding up my own brackets and doing this same thing, but after pricing materials and totes, it wasn't too much more to just have this guy do it.
The downside I would say is it is a little awkward to load/unload due to being overhead. I tried using a ladder but it was waaaay easier to just pull my truck in and stand in the bed.
The upside of course is I tossed out a ton of random boxes and totes where I previously had all this stuff stored and now I can use that space I freed up

m in sc

thats not bad at all.

the setup im going to have to figure out is for the shallower totes, i think, as the garage at angies has a tall door. will make a huge difference though.

RattlecanResto

I needed lights in the garage and after a quick web search, decided on these Barrina LED lights (based on good reviews). So far, I can recommend them. I put in 24 lights. They recommended you only link 8 lights max, so I did 3 circuits of 8. One set is connected to the garage door opener and lights when the door is operated or by the motion detector when you enter the garage from the house. The second set I connected via the overhead outlet and it is operated by a runlesswire switch and receiver. The third set was connected to the pre-existing light fixture circuit. I added a junction box and some cable raceway to clean up the look. The lights are 2200 lumens ea with a brightness of 6500k. They weigh nothing and give off very little heat.

85RZwade

Awesome! Come over to my place and bring your wire strippers. My man cave is lit like, well, a cave.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

thats nice. where did you get the lights? i need to start outfitting the new garage.  :toot:

I showed the overhead bin thing to angie she got all excited, loves that kind of stuff. this was a very timely thread for me for sure.  :celebrate:

sav0r

I've been using those same LED lights in my shop. They are pretty freaking awesome. So bright, and they are really easy to install on account of being light weight. I bought a couple of fluorescent industrial type fixtures and they were more expensive and provide less light.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

:cheerleader: ordered a batch of lights. thanks  :celebrate:

Evans Ward

I like those lights but wiring/ electricity scares me as I have been electrocuted before in 1982. Quite the experience too bordering on supernatural!
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV