Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

VForce V384A reeds

Started by Hawaii-Mike, February 11, 2019, 02:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawaii-Mike

Our extinct forum had a discussion of VForce V384A reeds for Yamaha twins.  I bought a set and can't find any discussions on the 'net for installing 384A reeds on RD400's and RD350's.  I put a set of reeds up to an RD400 intake and they won't go all the way in.  Looks like I'll need a set of reed spacers.  I would rather not take a chance on grinding the ports to fit the reeds.

Please share your VForce reed info here.

pdxjim

I believe Mark says you need a 6mm reed spacer between the reeds and cylinder

I'm also curious as thinking about doing this on my LC.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

yup. for an rm100.

def need the spacer or it just doesnt work quite right. (but it will fit)

you have to open holes out to 9mm. then it bolts in and centers

and open stuffer up to match intake. im running this with 34's

this is the unmodified reed stuffer opening.

bolted in. was testing w/out crossover initially. has a supertune/barlow bottle on it now.  >:D

Tuck

Mine wouldn't fit even with the spacers, material removal was required. Not a big deal, just take your time.

m in sc

the rm100 reeds will absolutely fit an unmodified cylinder, even w/out the spacer.  the yz85 ones will not.  .02

Tuck

Yes mine are YZ85, my mistake... ;D

Hawaii-Mike

SUPERTUNE

The YZ85 reeds are V382A, not the same as the RM100 V384A reeds which are bit smaller and just need a bit of bolt hole mods.
The YZ85 reeds need porting out of the intake track to fit. Exact bolt pattern as the RD and RZ's.... I do use my TSR laser CNC cut reed spacer kit when using them. ( I make a special set just for this setup)
YZ85 V-Force reed cages are great for bigger power on stg 2 built or track bike engine setups.
I did put in some Banshee 350 V-Force reed cages in my Yellow Screamer street bike, but are even bigger than the YZ85 reeds and need to epoxy the outsides of the cylinders as they do break through the stock RD400 castings on the cylinders.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Hawaii-Mike

Great, I remember reading about the V382A's as well, now we have the important details available again.

pdxjim

Mark (or Chuck), have you fitted VForce reeds to the RD350LC cylinders?

There is some adamant debate on Norbo's forum that there are no VForce 3 or 4 that fit the LC's without modifying the cyls.  Even with spacers.

http://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/41050/vforce4-reeds-on-4l0

http://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/46865/force-reeds
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

i test fit them on my spare lc jugs, they will go .  still use the spacer.

SUPERTUNE

Another note:
All of my TSR Reed Spacer kits I have made in a CNC lazer at my longtime friends shop at Interstate Welding and Fab Inc.
These are made using .250in (6.35mm)  6061 plate material.
Here a few pics and will try a video link...BTW, this machine has a 75HP air compressor, a Nitrogen generator and a clean air filtering system in a separete room just to support it to be able to run it.
2nd pic is the 2 story automated loading dock on the back side...you can have one for about $1.4m installed (building not included)

This was taken when they were doing a run of 1/4 steel brackets for a hot pressure washer they make frames for.

Chuck

Video

https://imageevent.com/supertune/cncpics?p=15&n=1&m=12&c=1&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

SUPERTUNE

On the YZ85-VF V382A reeds you have to port out the stuffers to fit whatever manifolds your using.
In my bigger TM34's flatslide conversions I use the UPP manifolds. Bolt the manifolds onto the reeds and scribe a match line as shown here.

Now you have a port out to size to grind to. I always have a new carbide bit I save just to cut these hard plastic stuffers, never use on metal. Old bits just cut like crap once used on metal.

Once your cut out to size, feather your cut down the ears to have a nice airflow pattern through the stuffer.

When your ready to grind out the cylinders to fit I use some studs in the boltholes then slide on my TSR reed spacer and scribe a cut line to port out to.

Using the studs allows me to slide in the reed cages to keep checking where to remove material out of the intake track.

Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

m in sc

as an addendum: the reeds did fot (rm100 ones) without the spacer, but didnt run well. my suspicion is that (especially) with the double reed tips, the flow just got all jacked up as the piston went down and pushed the mixture up past them to the boost port w/out the spacer

Dvsrd

A lot of great info in this thread!
It seems all agree that either YZ85 or RM100  VForce reeds work well on ported engines.
At the same time, EE claims that he has had engines up to 70 up with modified stock reeds.

That leaves me with a question:  Is there any benefit using these reeds on stock or mildly modded RDs?
(On the ACRD forum, it seems most believe the stock steel reeds are the best for any RD.........)