News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

R5 Mashup

Started by RustyRD, October 10, 2021, 09:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

Alright, I know its ok to start another project while another is nearing completion, only because I have read about others here. :whistle: So,  I have just scored is a R5 frame and swing arm, I have RD350 wheels and forks, also a RD400 engine. I need to find a tank, seat, and other bits. You guys have some input on direction of this project. I am thinking alloy rims, and follow a stock appearance.

soonerbillz

I've got ki da the same situation.
A bike I'm doing mostly stock but enough parts to build another but not enough to be normal. I think street tracker style with modern suspension and wheels.
Good luck .. looking forward to see what you come up with.

RustyRD

Thanks for the input, I have my project that has a mono shock and front fork swap well underway, I am thinking sorta a stock look with subtle changes, maybe  :umm:

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

I like it, alloy rims. Painted hubs or polished? I need to locate a disc for the front. I plan on using stock RD350 hubs. What
year and model rotor fit? I guess I need to search the site more, I am sure it is hiding in plain site. :vroom:

m in sc

stock brakes or large?

fzr 600 or 1000, and some ducati rotors fit but it makes the caliper adapter needed and a spacer behind the rotor. I have a bunch of stock discs i'll never need as well.

RustyRD

Bigger disc for front and updated caliper. Mark did you have a file for a caliper adapter? What years for the large rotors?

m in sc

it sin the tech library, look for the dxf. mid 90s fzr600, etc.

RustyRD

Mark thanks for the info. Well spent some time to get the 400 parts ready for reconditioning, cylinders going to John for his finesse, and not sure who to have rebuild the crank. Lyn is not able at this moment.

85RZwade

Are you having the heads massaged as well?
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Yes the heads will be worked with the cylinders, John informed of the details of his offer. I am tickled to have him work on these parts.
I now have to choose who to build the crank.

85RZwade

How about Wilson? I think he does cranks

wilsonperformance.net
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Thanks for the info, I went to his site to investigate. I have a question for those in the know. The 400 crank I have needs building. here is the state of the crank. the ignition side bearing is no longer a press fit, I could slide it off by hand,  the shaft shows no sign of scoring from the bearing seizing, it has a polished appearance. will the shaft be ok to rebuild?

Brad-Man

Lyn Garland can rebuild the crank for you - he is just south of Atlanta.  You can send it to you m and he'll be able to evaluate it.

He's a member here Yamaha179.
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

RustyRD

Thanks for the info, I  live in the area of Lyn, he built my last 350 crank, he is not doing work at this time.
Recommended Ed Toomey , I guess I will contact Ed also.