News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Dead RD400 resurrection

Started by JBeasty, April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

you'll know pretty quick. just check gear operation before putting the side cover back on.  :cheerleader:

JBeasty

Got the transmission together. Messed with it for several hours today, moving the pawl around. Just seems to be getting worse. Gets stuck in the mid gears, and/or doesn't go all the way in to first, move the pawl again and then it doesn't go into sixth.
I should mention that I've been shifting through the gears with no top case. I pour oil on anything that moves (except wife and dog), and turn the drive axle while shifting it with my left arm. Sometimes I can get it to shift all the way up, or all the way down (while fiddling with the shift cam and linkage), but never both. Maybe it would behave better if I put the top case on? Or are they kinda rough shifting when the the tranny isn't full of oil (and bike isn't running?)
Time to step away for a bit...
1977 RD400

m in sc

you are in luck. MSR was here tonight, we took a pic of his specifically to show you where it needs to be.

this is with trans in neutral. right behind where the silver sharpie mark is.  Hope this helps:

JBeasty

Wow. Thank you SO much Mark and Matt. I may just get this thing running!! 2strokeworld rocks!  :metal:
1977 RD400

msr

JBeasty

Well I've got the cases together and torqued down. Crank spins freely with no rattle or bearings spinning in the saddle. I can shift it through all the gears, but I still have to upshift/down shift when it gets stuck. I'm hoping full of oil and running will cure that.
1977 RD400

m in sc

DaytonaCafe

JBeasty

Moving really slow on this...   Took the generator all apart because it was so crusty. Got it as clean as I could and reassembled with new hardware. Just waiting on points and condenser. Next is the clutch side.
1977 RD400

m in sc

looks much better. tip: make sure the felt lubricator lightly rides on the points cam

JBeasty

Got it. Just curious - should I put a drop of oil on it?
1977 RD400

m in sc

JBeasty

Attempting to button up the left side of the engine. When I go to tighten the sprocket nut (even by hand) I get some binding when I try to rotate the counter shaft. It doesn't lock up or grind, it just gets harder to turn. I should mention that I have 2 sprocket lock washers on there (on advice from John with Economy), because I'm converting to a 520 chain (and sprockets). Any idea's what is causing this?
1977 RD400

JBeasty

Maybe binding is the wrong term. Dragging, resistance, tightness?
1977 RD400

m in sc

no oil in the motor not really unusual.