(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Dead RD400 resurrection

Started by JBeasty, April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeasty

Quote from: pidjones on June 09, 2022, 06:28:48 AM
RD400 service manual is here: https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/manuals/400C.pdf

Thanks, looks just like mine. Now I know I'm working with the right manual.
In the drawing of the crank (see pic below), It appears the little triangles represent supporting the crank in the middle. It also looks like the dial gauges are positioned on the ends of the shaft, and at each outer bearing. Is that right? I tried to take measurements on the bearing, but the probe tip just catches the outer bearing race and brings it along for the ride. That can't be right  :umm:
1977 RD400

m in sc

correct.

thats how i did my t500 crank as well.  :gentleman:

JBeasty

Quote from: m in sc on June 10, 2022, 10:23:28 AM
correct.

thats how i did my t500 crank as well.  :gentleman:

Cool! I had a T500 almost 40 years ago.
Edit: more like 35 yrs ago
1977 RD400

JBeasty

Got all my bottom end bead blasted. Now the fun part begins: cleaning all the glass beads out. Here's my home set-up. Not the best, but it gets me in the game.
1977 RD400

JBeasty

I checked out for a bit. European vacation, got COVID (not bad), sort of lost my momentum. Now I'm back at it, waiting in my spot for my turn with the machinist. Starting to focus on the rest of the bike.

Anyway, I have this fiberglass seat pan. It's pretty rough, and not particularly light (~2.3 lbs). Wondering if it's worth rescuing. How much does the stock metal pan weigh?
1977 RD400

pidjones

Sorry you snagged a 'Rona bug. Hope no lasting effects. Nothing wrong with a 'glass seat pan. I have one on my '78 GL1000. Was easy to build up the seat shape desired with rebond carpet padding layered with 3M spray adhesive (the kind they use on headliners). Shaping with electric carving knife (NOT the wife's!) And course sanding disk. Hardest part is attaching the cover. I had an upholsterer sew and attach mine he said the 'glass kept bending the staples, but agreed that spray glue does a good job. Later, I learned that (carefully drilled - use a stop) pop rivets are probably the way to go.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

JBeasty

Very nice work! How did you do the built up section in the rear?
1977 RD400

pidjones

Quote from: JBeasty on August 01, 2022, 01:26:57 PM
Very nice work! How did you do the built up section in the rear?
Big chunk of closed-cell stiff foam from packing and layered build-up of rebond carpet padding. I tried to buy foam for motorcycle seats at a local foam outlet, and they said they don't have anything stiff enough - get rebond.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

JBeasty

So I'm starting to put my transmission back together. Today I took the shift cam apart because the bearing feels a little worn. Of course the head of the screw that holds the cover plate on got all stripped out. Finally got it loose with an easy out. Lifted the plate off and and dowel pins went everywhere...   After spending an hour+ on my knees crawling all around the garage I found the last two. Now I'm not sure where the little 1/2 circle pawl goes in relation to all the pins, and the single pin on the other side. Or does it even matter? Also, now I'm not sure if it really needs a new bearing. This is not a hi speed bearing, correct?
1977 RD400

m in sc

oh, it matters. we went thru this with matts 400. this is what stops the pawl from garbbing 'beyond' 6th gear and 'below' 1st. when you get the drum back in, kick it down into 1st gear, then you can see where it goes.

JBeasty

So trial and error. Bummer. Maybe I can find a picture somewhere that shows it clearly.
1977 RD400

m in sc

you wont. we went thru this, found nothing.. unless i just missed it.. its easy to figure out though. PM 'msr' on here he might have some
insight. 

JBeasty

I did find a some pics on ebay that shows it all assembled. No guaranty they're assembled correctly though...
I'll pm msr too. Thanks Mark!
1977 RD400

JBeasty

Here's a pic I found on ebay
1977 RD400

JBeasty

I just put mine together like it. It may not be right, but at least I have a starting point  :confusing2:
1977 RD400