Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Dead RD400 resurrection

Started by JBeasty, April 04, 2022, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

kramdua

I know it's a POS.. that is the first thing you said way back in your first post.
Well look at you now. looking great.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

JBeasty

1977 RD400

JBeasty

I am just sick. Sometime over the last 3 months, I got a crack on the outside of my right Daytona head. Don't know how/when it happened. I tried to straighten it, and of course it broke of. The 2nd pic is from when I posted pics of the finished parts, about 3 months ago. You can see the crack up in the right hand corner. Don't know how I missed this.
1977 RD400

JBeasty

No problem, I'll just take it to my welder dude, who did a decent job on my cases...
1977 RD400

JBeasty

So my question is, is this fixable? Maybe braising or one of those low heat fillers you can get that only requires propane or map gas?...  or do i just fill the holes with JB weld and paint it. Here's my other head all nice and polished.
1977 RD400

JBeasty

So I found 1 (ONE!) guy who's willing to fix my head (RD400 head that is...). He's a race car fabricator/welder with a shop on site at Sonoma Raceway (aka Sears point, Infineon). He's about 25 miles from me. Gonna go see him tomorrow. It wont be cheap, but it beats JB weld!
1977 RD400

m in sc

i would have cleaned it and try to get some solver solder in there then smooth it out since its just cosmetic. with as porous as the hole in, it prob would have held. but tigging in some aluminum is going to be good.. but be warned it will prob be a different shade of silver.

JBeasty

I went out and got some low heat aluminum brazing rods I was going to try and use. But this guy will no doubt do a better job than I ever could. I just didn't want to potentially screw it up even worse. He did warn me it'll be a slight different shade.
1977 RD400

JBeasty

When you don't have a mill...  Not perfect, but not bad! Took me a while to make though. The caliper really takes up a lot of space between the forks. Looks like it will hit the wheel. Hopefully an optical illusion.
1977 RD400

m in sc

admittedly i haven't tried it with a mag, so cant comment on that. but if its close, you can relieve the back of the caliper, there's a decent amount of meat there. flap wheel and an angle grinder. i know chuck q did that with his bike with a different mount.

looks good so far!

85RZwade

FINE looking bracket, MacGuyver; nicely done  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

did you make the rotor spacer yet?

JBeasty

Quote from: m in sc on March 29, 2023, 04:07:37 PM
did you make the rotor spacer yet?

No I haven't. I was gonna use the center of the stock rotor like you suggest in the Speed Shop though.
1977 RD400