News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

What did you do to your 2T today?

Started by pdxjim, July 07, 2019, 02:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

Thread idea stolen from Norbo's rdlccrazy.proboards.com forum.

Just post up whatever you did with your bike(s) today.  A few words, a lengthy essay, pics, whatever.

This thread is what you make it, hopefully it'll catch on.

I'll start:

I'm in the process of prepping my KTM 300xcw for our annual dualsport-lite moto-camping trip.  Usually about ten days and around 1000mi.  Generally roughly following the BDR routes.  Last year we trucked the bikes up to the Canadian border and rode back to Portland.  The year before, we trucked down to Klamath Falls, OR near the California border and rode back to Portland.  Next Satuday 7/13, we'll load 8 bikes int a U-haul truck and drive over to Boise, ID.   From there we'll ride North to Cour d'Alene taking the IDBDR route ridebdr.com  We'll rough camp every night except for the last two at Gold Creek Lodge.  Then another U-Haul back home.

Anyway, today I fit the big 4gal tank and the cushy seat, changed the oil, lubed the chain, went thru the camping stuff and pulled out a few items to bring, spliced together a couple of Battery Tender cables so I can easier charge my phone on the road, cleaned the air filter, etc.  Basic bike prep.

Tomorrow I gotta go to Cycle Gear and get some NoToil filter oil, and maybe some 2T oil.  Then I'll fit the Mosko Moto saddlebags and tank bag and go thru my riding gear.

Here's a pic of the bike fully loaded last year:

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

quocle603

Tried to make my 1973 seat more comfortable with some new padding but it was a failure because it felt the same. Looks like I will just purchase a new seat.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Organicjedi

I polished it up and did the obligatory throttle jerk before putting it away.

https://youtu.be/-N4Dn7K_OGw

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

pdxjim

Thanks for playing Jeff!  Your 400 looks and sounds great! So clean!

I battled with my KTM 300xcw some more.

When I put the big DS tank on yesterday, I noticed the float valve appeared to be stuck, so it was pissing fuel.

Of course, I whacked on the float bowl, but couldn't get it to stop leaking.  I've had this 2013 bike since about 2015 or maybe 2016 and have never touched the carb.  I managed to get the float bowl off without pulling the carb all the way and cleaned out the needle and seat and buttoned it back up.  Somehow I managed to lose a float bowl screw, so had to run to the hardware store for a replacement set.  Should have just pulled one off my disused LC carbs but don't wanna start cannibalizing it ... yet.

FACK!! Still leaking, so I wrangled the carb out, stripped all the jets, gave it a bath in the ultrasonic for :30 minutes, blew it all out,  reassembled it, loosened up the subframe on the bike, and wedged the carb back in.  Phew, looks like I fixed it.

Fcuking wasted most of the day farting around learning how to clean the carb on my dirtbike that I've owned for three years without ever messing with.  Can't complain really.  This bike has been 98% reliable since the day I bought it with almost no maintenance other than changing the oil and lubing the chain.  Somewhere around 5000miles and almost 300hours on it now. 

And it's STREET PLATED in Oregon which ain't easy.

I should probably do the top end this winter, but I'm sure I won't.

My view today:

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

nojoke2stroke

I cut up my Jemco exhaust chamber on the DT250 to get it to tuck under the frame and clear the tire better... tacked it up, and built rubber mounted frame mounts.  :cheerleader:

Seizer

Ok, I have 2 questions for Organic Jedi....

1: How is your bike so damn tidy? Seriously, that thing is gorgeous. Soooooo clean.

2: Will you start a new thread and walk dummies like me on the process of how to post such large pics? Mine all come out like this...

Thank you in advance

Organicjedi

Quote from: Seizer on July 08, 2019, 09:50:46 AM
Ok, I have 2 questions for Organic Jedi....

1: How is your bike so damn tidy? Seriously, that thing is gorgeous. Soooooo clean.

2: Will you start a new thread and walk dummies like me on the process of how to post such large pics? Mine all come out like this...

Thank you in advance

The bike is a result of a complete restomod. I had a thread on the old forum. I intend to put up a condensed version of the thread to show the transformation and to share sources of help (huge thanks to JSpooner). My "secret" cleaner is kerosene. The stuff works great. I fill up a spray bottle and arm myself with some rags and brushes. For finishing touches, some wax, chrome polish, and plastic/ vinyl cleaner make it really shine. I know Spooner uses gas on his stuff. That works great too.

For the pictures, I downloaded the Tapatalk app and connected it to my account on the forum. It makes uploading pictures really easy. I don't think it navigates the forum as well as the browser though.

Seizer

Trying Tapatalk now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Organicjedi

Looks good! Cool bike.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

svgarage

Quote from: Seizer on July 08, 2019, 11:42:36 AM
Trying Tapatalk now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nice assortment of parts!
A goal without a plan is just a wish.   ~ Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry

quocle603

I messed up some jets to fine tune my bike
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Jspooner

"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

SUPERTUNE

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

weather has been very hit and miss, so i cleaned and waxed the LC Hybrid. (well, yesterday) :help:

pdxjim