click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teazer

PZ2 S41?  They were hard as rocks when new.   :whistle:

RustyRD

I am torn between the swing arm or the clutch as to my favorite piece.  Like em both , getting closer bit by bit

85RZwade

They had sizing unfamiliar to me:10/64-18 and 13/66-18. The model, if that's what it was, was printed or stamped on the sidewall and I didn't even see it until I flopped the rear up onto the tire machine (I was able to take the front off by hand, but the rear was a stiff old pita and I couldn't break the bead without some mechanical assistance). Maybe Evan will post the stamped model when he gets 'em, but I have forgotten what they said. It's age-related.
Yeah, the clutch is a pretty nice piece, almost a shame to close it away inside the case cover! I'll get to keep enjoying the swingarm, though. It should look better when cleaned up (polished?)  :umm:
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

I  cast a vote for polished.

85RZwade

That's what I was afraid of. My elbow gets tired just thinking about it!
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

now where did I put that buffing wheel :umm:

85RZwade

Oh, YOU'RE going to polish it, Russ? I misunderstood, and I like that idea much better  :rock2:
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

:umm: :whistle: me and my big mouth :blah: I guess we can clear off a corner of the bench and throw that buffer up there. This a great polish for finish work

teazer

Quote from: 85RZwade on May 07, 2020, 12:48:25 AM
They had sizing unfamiliar to me:10/64-18 and 13/66-18. T...

10/64 means 100mm wide and 64% aspect ratio, 13/66 is a 130 by 66%.   That way they were wide but not too tall. 

Avon do a rear race tire that's 130/65 IIRC and it fits on a stock skinny rim.  Race tire were like that back in the day to fit on skinny rims.  They hung over the rim like my gut over my belt after this lockdown.....

Dunlop triangular race tires were the same - much wider than you might imagine.

rodneya

Quote from: teazer on May 08, 2020, 01:42:38 PM
Quote from: 85RZwade on May 07, 2020, 12:48:25 AM
They had sizing unfamiliar to me:10/64-18 and 13/66-18. T...

10/64 means 100mm wide and 64% aspect ratio, 13/66 is a 130 by 66%.   That way they were wide but not too tall. 

Avon do a rear race tire that's 130/65 IIRC and it fits on a stock skinny rim.  Race tire were like that back in the day to fit on skinny rims.  They hung over the rim like my gut over my belt after this lockdown.....

Dunlop triangular race tires were the same - much wider than you might imagine.

Shh don't say that. All the keep it stock, only run stock sizes guys will have a seizure.

85RZwade

That's cool, Teazer, thanks for the education! And as for the pot-stirrer, I did a little research and the MT 3.00 rim of the TZ is designed for a 130 or 140 tire. About what I was thinking of putting back there... or would it be a 13 or a 14?
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Hey Wade ... just want to make sure you know how jealous I am of your rear end :dawg:

That is some holy grail type shiz to be grafting on to an LC.

I'm almost willing to polish the swinga' for you just so I can fondle it for a bit.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

I can't believe I've now had TWO people "offer" to polish my swingarm! Does anyone want to lever on tires for me, or take a turn at the parts washer?
I know what you mean, Jim. There are certain bikes that just resonate with me, and the TZs of the 80s are on my short list. I just love that rear wheel...felt stronger about the front when it had two discs!
I'd sure like to make some more progress, but my evenings have been filled either with fixing mowers to sell or riding dirt bikes with my boys. Gotta make a few dollars, and our oldest son is 17 now, so my window of opportunity is closing; how can I say no when they want to roll the bikes out with me?
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

I'm grateful for the isolation/work downtime.....maybe get the boys in the garage to wrench for you...show them the ropes...or maybe you tried that alread? Afterall, daddy needs his me time too. ;)

85RZwade

There's some evidence that I should stay away from eBay late at night; I was smitten by these pipes listed for the RZ350. Asked the seller what brand they were...he said no identification on 'em

So, they are NOT RZ pipes, but I'm not complaining. I bought impetuously, I own it and I own them, so the next step is ti figure out how to use 'em. More later
I post waayyy too much