Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Are we still talking about my project, or the pros and cons of marriage?  ;D For instance, sell the TZ swingarm to Jim and buy a lovely aluminum arm (and shocks) for the RD...the idea has merit, I admit.
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 21, 2020, 03:54:39 PM
Are we still talking about my project, or the pros and cons of marriage?  ;D For instance, sell the TZ swingarm to Jim and buy a lovely aluminum arm (and shocks) for the RD...the idea has merit, I admit.

HA....only  'cos I've done something similar.....suzuki GSX1100 alloy swingarm with twin shocks....looks the part and maybe minor shock mount adaptation. Note: I did have to reduce the pivot tube width to fit the frame.....but select the right swimgarm to suit the RD frame and you're laughing.

Image for illustration purposes.

85RZwade

:wave: hello, sports fans.
That is a fine looking aluminum (or, as you say there:"aluminum") swingarm you have, Colin.
No decisions nor pictures tonight, just an update after an hour in the barn:

LC swingarm will accommodate the TZ wheel (TZ axle is larger diameter, but easily resolved)
LC, RD and TZ swingarms are all 16mm pivot, nearly identical width at pivot
LC swingarm is WIDER at the top than TZ swingarm, hits RD frame sooner in upward swing
TZ swingarm fits nicely in LC frame. Lower clevis of shock is same width, pin is same diameter but a little short.
Shock mount of TZ swingarm is closer to the front of the bike, so it's got a lot of rear ride height. Forward shock mount would need to be moved or a shorter shock used.
RD frame has plenty of room for the LC shock.

So, like I said, no decisions tonight, but... :umm:
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Wade!

Are you a member on Norbo's forum?

This may seem like uncharted territory here in the States, but I gair-aun-tea this road hath been trod before.

You've seen this thread, right?

https://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/43493/rd-tz-lc

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Those are real eye candy; I recognize a lot of parts there, and between them is a bike I'd like to build.
Not a member, but I lurk there from time to time. So far, only a member of three sites (four, actually, but TZ350.net has withered on the proverbial vine) and those keep me busy reading. I will read that thread ( it's Dusty's, I imagine , looks like his work), as I'm curious to see if the 400 frame in the foreground had to be modded for the Elsie swinger, and what tank is on the bike in the background, as it's everything I've ever wanted in a fuel holder!  :metal:
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

i wen t thru a lot of this a few years ago, even had a few arms including an lc one, etc. i came to the conclusion that it would, in the long run, for me, be easier to mod an arm to be a single and use a modern shock than use an lc arm and try to source a usaeble shock or have one rebuilt.

the 1st one i layed out actually went on daves rd (well dimensionally), then i did one on mine, worked great. this same basic geometry is what dannys rear arm is based on, and it uses a cbr600rr shock. I know this geometry has been used at least 10 times that i know of  to use a cbr shock.

Im not saying its better or worse, but it makes shock choices and availability much more feasible, for me, in the states.

pdxjim

All OEM LC shocks are gonna be shagged at this point and are not easily rebuildable (AFAIK).

YSS aftermarket shock is a great option and about $300 by the time you get it here. Adjustable ride height and gets great reviews.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-RD-350-LC-80-82-YSS-Top-Line-Monoshock/333503940141?epid=10009917894&hash=item4da662462d:g:bFEAAOSw1PxeOEeb
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

^that is a great option. i never found a suitable one back in 07-08 when i first did it. if that was available at the time i would have gone that route.  :bacon:

85RZwade

And I think that's the shock that our man sav0r services. Is that right, Chris? Step away from the RD125 a minute, man...
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 23, 2020, 05:36:00 PM
And I think that's the shock that our man sav0r services. Is that right, Chris? Step away from the RD125 a minute, man...

No, not YSS, I think it's the ebay RFY shocks that he services. I don't know about the YSS "mono's" but I have YSS on my twin shock and they are great.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 23, 2020, 05:36:00 PM

Nope.

YSS are made in Taiwan Thailand.

Chris does upgrade service to RFY shocks made in China.

85RZwade

I knew it was a name  with three letters! My plan has been to design around the Elsie OEM shock, ride it as long as I can stand it before buying an aftermarket replacement. As excited as I am that my TZ swinger fits so nicely in the Elsie frame,

there's a ride height issue. As I see it, I need a shorter shock or move the upper mount forward. If I'm moving the mount, I might as well go back to the RD frame and build a mount where I need it. I don't think modifying the RD frame to provide clearance for the TZ swingarm will be a big deal.
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Only upgrade for RFY China shocks is placing them in the garbage

85RZwade

Another late night eBay session yielded two sets of bottom-end bearings, all Yamaha NOS or Koyo, enough for an Elsie and an RZ, $240 including shipping. If I sell another lawnmower, I can shop for gaskets and seals next.

And I might have talked myself into using the Elsie frame for this project...
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

:o I pulled the old Michelin rain tires off the TZ wheels and will send them off to motodreams for his display resto. The front came off easy, the rear was a cast iron bitch, super stiff and did not want to let go of the rim! I'll mount a couple of tires that I have around for the continuation of the project, which I think will be in the Elsie frame. Have a new vision for the RD frame.
I post waayyy too much