Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Speaking of: I sent him an email as you suggested, Chuck. Also got a message from a forum member offering an RD60 tank, which is one of the possibilities I'd considered. Interested to see how those leads pan out.
Pulled the clutch basket apart today

-gasket is mostly gone
-two sizes of cushions
A little cleaning and I'll assemble the billet basket next
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

I tried, I really did...but before I knew it, I'd come up with two more reasons to go in to work AND I needed to get some good gas for the RZ, so I gave in and went after red Loctite.

Clutch basket done!
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Tonight I stripped the RD of many parts and learned a thing or two, most notably that the TZ swingarm I have in mind WILL FIT. Width at the pivot is within 2mm (TZ is slightly narrower) and both use a 16mm pivot axle.

Picture is maybe misleading; they measure almost the same width.

Holy wheelbase, Batman! I hadn't anticipated the TZ arm being so long. Hmm.

RD pivot axle in the TZ swingarm (sigh of relief)

I don't know, kids, this swingarm might be too long. Effing cool looking, though, innit? I'll have another look at things in the morning, but this little bit of progress is pretty exciting. Stay tuned.
I post waayyy too much

bitzz

IIRC the TZ swinger is about 1.5" longer than a RD. That's a GOOD thing.
CMR Racing is building me a custom "TZ-G" swinger. I went 1" longer than stock, so almost 2.5" longer than a RD (to get the geometry I wanted. 24.5 degree steering head, less trail, IIRC 55" wheelbase, almost modern)
...that's not your problem as I see it.
Where are you going to mount the front of the shock?
... and if you're fretting the price of that tank, wait till you see the price of that shock.
Good luck finding an aluminum "G" shock, there isn't any. I am getting a custom one made... NOT CHEAP!

85RZwade

Thanks for the geometry information, it's good to know. Among other things, I was worried that I was building something that would handle like a log truck.
One of the Hail Marys of this project is the idea of using an OEM Elsie rear shock at first, to be replaced by an aftermarket unit as $$ allows later. I have the Elsie shock, and aftermarket replacements are available, which gets me away from the TZ shock situation. I do have to create an upper mount, and the plan is to use the Elsie frame as a design guide.
But none of that is my problem. In the harsh light of day (fluorescent tubes, really), this is clearly the next hurdle!

Limited travel. The swingarm hits the frame on the right, and clearance isn't much better on the left. The TZ and Elsie frames bow outward to avoid this little interference issue. I may suss out the steering head bearing situation and be sure that's doable before I commit to modifying the rear of the frame.
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Seems like that swing arm might be more trouble than it's worth.  :umm:
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

85RZwade

I'm kinda feeling that. Still very much on the fence, and I may investigate the Elsie swingarm option.
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Something tells me Elsie swingarms fit and you can get nice aluminum ones for those as well.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

85RZwade

Sounds like $$$! The problem is that the frame tube on the right is bent in exactly opposite the manner I need. Seems like I ought to be able to cut it out and rotate it, flip it over or replace it so that it splays outward near the top to accommodate the width of the TZ arm.

The tube on the left is at least less of a problem, and might be fine once I can determine the position of the swingarm at full compression.
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I'm just gonna lob out the old "why not just use the LC frame?" question again.

The title really isn't a big deal in WA.  They will title anything.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

:blah: WARNING: LONG-ASS STORY TO FOLLOW. CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK  :blah:   

Well...you made me think about it*. A long time ago, in a barn about 20 yards away, I hatched plans for all these bikes in my herd. Over the years, what happened? Not a damn thing, unless you count rodent damage.  Too many projects, too little time and way too little money; it wasn't going to happen.
So, I abandoned the TZ plan and started working on selling those parts, put the Elsie in a different category in my head ("donor") and focused on the RD and my 2nd RZ, which I haven't discussed much here. Two bikes to build, two bikes from which to harvest parts and sell parts to finance the builds. The RD was chosen over the Elsie because of the aforementioned title situation, the relationship between RDs and TZs and something about Elsies doesn't resonate with me. Maybe it's the shape of the tank. All of that (I know, it's a lot, but you were warned) being said, like I said earlier, you made me think (rethink?) about it. I've visited the Elsie a few times and tried to  re-envision this build around that frame...it would simplify motor mounts, swingarm and pipe fitment, but I kind of relish those challenges. I do wonder about buying pipes designed for an LC and making them fit an RD chassis...Garret would probably do it with a set of his milleniums (I've decided not to try and use the DGs).
At any rate, New Plan: find out how the TZ swingarm fits the Elsie frame and then re-assess.
* thank you JIM for complicating my effing life  :affirmation:
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

You could just sell me the TZ swinger, then you wouldn't have it complicating your life anymore?

Hey, just trying to help!
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

What a giver. Like Mother Theresa, you are! :knightpoop:
I post waayyy too much

DesmoDrew

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 19, 2020, 02:56:02 PM
The problem is that the frame tube on the right is bent in exactly opposite the manner I need.

The tube on the left is at least less of a problem, and might be fine once I can determine the position of the swingarm at full compression.

FWIW as an easy fix/option, RD400 frames have both sides bent outward.  :twocents:

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 19, 2020, 02:56:02 PM
Sounds like $$$! The problem is that the frame tube on the right is bent in exactly opposite the manner I need. Seems like I ought to be able to cut it out and rotate it, flip it over or replace it so that it splays outward near the top to accommodate the width of the TZ arm.

I'd explore why the frame is shaped like it is, flipping it might hinder something else?

What's your view on using a twin shock fancy swingarm instead of the LC? I get what you're doing and using what you have, but do you need all the hassle? or would you be happy with something slightly simpler to achieve? Just sayin'...