click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

yes, you need to compare to lower frame tube as '0'

50gary

12/13 degrees is common for modern sportbikes.  On vintage if I get 8 degrees I'm happy.
  Cheers, 50gary

pdxjim

I can understand your aversion to the stock LC tank now.

The UK boys love 'em, but holy hell, this thing is huge.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Maybe a dark color will help...?
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Another clandestine trip to the barn today:

Dry fit of VM32, Moose manifold, reed spacer, RZ reed block and boost bottle. It's on a rear stand, so hopefully the carbs will sit closer to level when this is over!
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 26, 2020, 09:14:35 AM

Ive always been told that stripes are slimming ;D

pdxjim

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 26, 2020, 09:14:35 AM

Sidecovers and front mudguard are helping already.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

No pictures for you!
I think I mentioned once that I welcome opinions and input but reserve the right to forge ahead with my own ideas from time to time. I try to use what I have on hand, such as banshee/RZ reed cages (anybody need some?) even though they're reputed to be difficult to fit into LC intakes (they are...:bang:). Suffice it to say that I've seen the light (yup) and two YZ85 reed cages are on the way from eBay and new reeds from TDR.
I'm also second- and maybe third-guessing my carb choice. Was going to use a set of VM30s I have, then switched my plan to VM32s (I have one) and now I'm considering a set of stock RZ350 mixers I have. Still brainstorming here... I have a new old Toomey jet kit, a Y-boot (I know, not everyone loves 'em) and a filter and a new pair of intake manifolds that fit the RZ carbs...slam dunk, right?
I post waayyy too much

teazer

YZ85 reed are bigger area than RZ and easier to fit, so that's a good move.  RZ carbs are smaller than RD at 26mm but they work well on an RZ.  Mine is basically stock with SPec11 pipes that the PO fitted before I bought it back in the early 90s and it made around 57 RWHP IIRC, so they are big enough for that sort of HP.

85RZwade

My thinking is that the smaller RZ carbs will be easiest to tune, and I can always swap in the 30s or 32s later on. A quick check this morning before work showed the Y-boot is a no-go; any filter would need to occupy the same space as the shock. If I use them, I'll need another set of pod filters.
The YZ cages will probably be here tomorrow, so there could be more test-fitting fun this weekend  :toot:
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

VM30 are a known quantity.

John Economy can supply the cables and adjusters you need so they'll bolt right up.  When I got a set of VM30 from Garrett, he jetted them before delivery and we ran a 6hr endurance race on the jetting he supplied with no changes (and we got on the podium and didn't blow up!)

RustyRD

Wade
I am running the yz85 reed cages on my RD350 with a 6mm spacer from Chuck. On the air cooled cylinder I had to enlarge the opening to fit the yz reed cage, the addition of the spacer makes the job go a little quicker.
Russ

85RZwade

Never let it be said that I can't take good advice; I bought YZ85 reed blocks from two sellers on eBay:

:bang: 50% success rate! Sent seller #2 a message and we'll see what gets worked out.

Anybody need a nice YZ125 reed block? :whistle:

As a consolation, a nice package from TDR also arrived today, so not all is lost! Too bad they fit only one of the blocks I have (yes, I remembered to buy two sets!).

I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

UGH... don't ya hate it when seller doesn't know what they have? Case for return? not what was represented. :whistle: I went ahead and bit the bullet and spent dollars for new, I researched used, however some sellers wanted nearly the same dollar amount that partzilla had for them. :umm:

85RZwade

It didn't occur to me to check new prices...suppose I assumed used was substantially less. Seller is befuddled by the situation, but is working on a solution.
I post waayyy too much