Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Hydraulic clutch conversion

Started by Striker1423, July 23, 2020, 12:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Quote from: Gil Gallad on August 06, 2020, 04:06:58 PM
personally i looked at the magura kit, and the price and thought bollox to that, there must be something cheaper out there. then i found the ones above. my first thought was they were so cheap they must be crap. wrong. and the hydraulic clutch levers look like the reservoir would be too small. wrong. it all works perfectly. as i said, a good mate fitted the same set-up to his 550 and he's well pleased with it. at about £25 all in it's a steal  ;D
cheers, gil.

Can you post a list of parts you've used for it?

Gil Gallad

i'll get back to you tomorrow. it's now 1 a.m over here in derbyshire and bed is calling  ;D
cheers, gil.

Dvsrd

Quote from: 85RZwade on August 06, 2020, 12:07:15 AM
Juice clutch on my KTM has been trouble-free for 21 years now (man, all my stuff is old!). I think I've changed the oil three times. No cable to lube or adjust and it just plain works.
Same on my 1995 Ducati M600. 25 years and 100 000 km. No issues whatsoever. Changed DOT 4 fluid every 1 or 2 years, nothing else done. I do have faith in Brembo products.

Gil Gallad

Striker1423

Cheers Gil. Looks like I have a little project I can do.

patastinky

Quote from: Jspooner on July 24, 2020, 12:54:53 AM
Someone needs to explain why they need a hydraulic clutch on an RD.  :help: :umm:

Me too. What are the advantages?
1975 RD350 (under construction)

350GUY

This is the route (KTM dirt bike master and slave) I would go which is a full style hydraulic clutch conversion that omits the worm gear. The KTM setup done by dwyatt on his yellow XS650 iis compact and neat. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a lathe etc. to do the machining work.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/hydraulic-clutch-conversion-any-interest.6356/page-6

m in sc

everything i used was brembo, cheap used, and has lasted extremely well. me? i had no desire to go back and reuse the worm screw if i was going hydraulic.  If thats the case i would have had to deal with, i would have just kept the cable.   :twocents:

retaRD

350GUY

retaRD

This is something I whipped up this morning just as concept.  Not to scale, and from memory of what the adjuster cover looks like.  I could've pulled it off my bike but I was too lazy.
The size of the cover would make the piston very small diameter, so may be hard to find a master.  Maybe trials bike masters...?

I just drew this to show what I thought a good clean setup could look like on a 350. 

oxford

Quote from: retaRD on August 09, 2020, 04:39:23 PM
The size of the cover would make the piston very small diameter, so may be hard to find a master.  Maybe trials bike masters..

This would be very doable.  There were 2 guys on the Canadian triples board that did hyd. conversions on the Kawasaki's,  Don(RIP), and Ned.  Neds looks like it used a 7/8" diameter piston and is recommended using a Magura 9.5 master for .080"(??) of travel.

Wall thickness on both of them was pretty thin as there is limited space on the triples.  Cover on the 350 on the outside measures around 1.250" wide so it has plenty of room.

I think Dons may have used an O-ring but Neds used a standard 7/8" wheel cylinder cup seal available off the shelf at Napa.

sav0r

The slave looks very doable but it would require multiple fixtures on any non 4-axis machines. Seems like it could be simplified a good bit.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

350GUY

I took a few pictures of a Magura slave along with a spare RD350 clutch cover.  The master cylinder and the slave are of a KTM.
It' really small, flat n sleek, not bulky. See below pictures.

m in sc

i made one like that, on the okuma at work like 12 years ago, sort of. similar tot he triple ones.  walls were too thin for an rd cover with a decent master IMHO, so i ditched it and went with the brembo one. the plate is the easiest way for that type of a setup to bypass the worm screw. could it be done? sure. I also made mine with a drum brake cup seal. I have it somewhere buried in a box i think.