News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

My junk R5

Started by soonerbillz, December 22, 2019, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

Hi folks I thought as my 1st real bike post show you the R5 I picked up some time ago.
I pulled this out of a guy's barn... he really had kind of a little salvage yard going on north of where I live at...  way out in the country here in Oklahoma.
  This thing was really left for dead as it's missing tank and as you can see a whole bunch of other parts. Also the top is missing off the motor.
The bike has been sitting as I said in a barn but it had a lot of water on it in so... a whole lotta rusty, crusty parts on it that will really need to be looked at.
The bike seems to be one that I would like to go ahead and build-up.
I never owned an R5 before and I was looking to build one over the next few months to get ready for next summer as a regular rider for back and to work and some fun rides too.
The bike doesn't have what looks like the original engine. Looks to be a DS 7 engine lower ...I guess a 250cc so I have a little bit figuring out to do to build it up engine wise ... meanwhile other than that start getting parts for it.

I'm trying to add a pic but keep getting a error message saying file size too large??

Greaser Greg

Welcome aboard, Bill! I use a free image size ap that works well, just has a few ads now and again.  The settings you see in this pic work for me.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

Greaser Greg

I think people put the 250 lower end on them to get better gearing in the primary for quickness. May be some other reason, I'm new to all this business with these little bikes.
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

soonerbillz

As you can see I was able to get pics resized and posted...
As I said... rusty and crusty.

soonerbillz

I'm hoping to get this bike in road shape by next spring... a lot of work to do!

soonerbillz

I posted up on the Wrench board about the motor.. it's a DS7 lower in my R5 chassis

bhh1989

I thought that the 250 and 350 had the exact same bottom end, tranny and all?

I just purchased a DS7 in nearly the same shape. I honestly like the projects that come this way. For me, I can't take a decent original bike and make it unoriginal or customize it, let alone cut on the frame. It just feels blasphemous. However when they are crusty like ours, who cares. There's hardly any stock parts I want to use anyhow! Stock pipes, shocks, steel rims, airbox, battery box..... all gotta go if you are really doing it up!

Looks like you'll be getting into that motor too. Good time to swap to 6sp or RD400 tranny, upgrade clutch, lighter RD350 crank..

m in sc

it is the same except for primary gear, clutch basket, oil pump gear and pump, but all swapable.   :twocents: no downside tot he 250 bottom end, you can just go one up on the front sprocket will offset most of the difference if you want 350 gearing.

soonerbillz

Ok.... so I have this one I picked too....

soonerbillz

It's a 74 250 I think

Organicjedi

Quote from: soonerbillz on December 30, 2019, 03:51:34 PM

The old "ran when parked, just needs a carb clean" gag applies here.

soonerbillz

Quote from: Organicjedi on December 30, 2019, 04:32:37 PM
Quote from: soonerbillz on December 30, 2019, 03:51:34 PM

The old "ran when parked, just needs a carb clean" gag applies here.

LOL.. yeah..
The only good on either of these is that I got them and not a scrapper...

85RZwade

They've found a better home! What direction do you want to take them?
Wade
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

Quote from: 85RZwade on December 31, 2019, 09:18:26 AM
They've found a better home! What direction do you want to take them?
Wade

The R5 I think back to mostly stock. Not a resto but close enough.  350 top end.. probably stay with the piston port and 5 speed ..

The 250 is a mess that front end is so wrong and the only good thing is the motor is complete, carbs and all. So I think it will end up a cafe or street-able road race clone. 

85RZwade

:clap: I like the sound of that plan! :celebrate:
I post waayyy too much