News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

My junk R5

Started by soonerbillz, December 22, 2019, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhh1989

I can only imagine the shenanigans that took place with those knobbies...

soonerbillz

It's been a while since I posted on this thread. I didn't want it to die a web dusty death. Ya'll were kind enough to respond to it..so it's only fair I give it a update.
The R5: This bike is going to see a lot of use..
I decided to go with the 6 speed RD350 tranny upgrade. I also will be putting in a matching RD350  clutch set. I will be doing quite a bit of highway travel on the bike..and my home has more than a few hills. The extra gear will help on those long rides and the wider gear range will be a blessing for the ups and downs. If I lived in town the 5 speed would be more than adequate.. but that is not the case.
To keep this bike as simple as possible and keep it R5 real I just bought a R5 top end to sit on that YDS7 case. I have purchased a correct set of R5 carbs to complete the missing items list.
I also found a excellent R5 fuel tank.. it showed up today and I am impressed by the condition..just a few minor dings..and almost not rust inside.
I have so many projects in play..plus I am working two jobs until May..when I retire.
Then it's foot on the gas on my stuff. Till then.. it's baby steps.

m in sc

that you on FB that just got the 71 tank? that tank is in nice shape. good score.  :cheerleader:

dont forget you need to change all the trans parts to swap to 6 speed correclty. including the shift shaft and arms.  :twocents:

soonerbillz

Yes..that was me. I took a chance on a unknown seller through a fb group. He also had the R5 jugs and heads I needed.  The top end parts will need work.. but they look good. May be worthy of throwing some $$ on. And yes that tank is excellent..so happy!

soonerbillz

Parts showing up for the project!

soonerbillz

I didn't get a title for this bike as the it was abandoned and trashed..(left for dead).
So next week I'm sending off to Vermont the application and bill of sale. I hope to have it titled back in Oklahoma by summertime.  I could do a Title 42 here but it's such a pain in the butt! The Vermont way is much easier.. but more costly.

Djg8493

Just as an FYI, you should get that paperwork in to Vermont as soon as you can, they are running a few months behind.  It usually only takes around 2 weeks but they are almost 8 weeks out now, I called and they let me know they are behind.
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

soonerbillz

Quote from: Djg8493 on February 24, 2021, 10:43:06 AM
Just as an FYI, you should get that paperwork in to Vermont as soon as you can, they are running a few months behind.  It usually only takes around 2 weeks but they are almost 8 weeks out now, I called and they let me know they are behind.

Thanks For the info. I will send it right away then!

soonerbillz

I actually got the bike out of my storage and pulled it into my shop area. Going to start the teardown and see exactly what is usable and what is not. I'm not thinking there will be much as far as wiring, rubber or cables that are salvageable.
As I said I have started accumulating the parts and will be sending off my top end and crank to John Ritter in the next couple of weeks.
My plan is to get the bike in running and driving condition by this summer .. then do a full resto over next winter..
I just want to ride this thing.

Here is a video I made... just a little overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ounVbds9z5c

soonerbillz

Today all the talk stops and redemption is in store for this member of my church..
All hail the song this gal will sing!

soonerbillz

Doing it..

soonerbillz

I can already tell this project is gonna take a chunk of change. $$$
I barely have started and already I'm looking at +1k on just rubber, small parts and such. Haven't even got into the big ticket engine and paint work money yet.
Not complaining though. I could have just bought a already built runner.. but whats the fun of that? Besides.. who knows what pig in a poke a bought, built bike would be? Might be just as expensive as building from scratch when you dig into issues unknown.
This bike will be correct top to bottom and be all new.
No idea what the final costs will be... but I'm determined to see this through.

soonerbillz

I've gotten several quotes on powder coat.
I'm not 100% certain on whether to go coat or paint.
I'm leaning to do the powder coat route but it will raise the budget by quite a bit. 
So of the weird part was of all the quotes I received the lowest came from the place that has to most positive reviews.
The high was at 550$ and the low was 400$
That includes blasting & the coating.
My painter wants 250$ to paint but I'll have to get it blasted elsewhere.
Of course I could just paint it myself..

soonerbillz

So what exactly was chopped off here?

RDFL