News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

My junk R5

Started by soonerbillz, December 22, 2019, 01:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soonerbillz

Ok.. thats what I fiqured.. looks like I'll have a bit of fab and welding to do.
I can imagine why it was cut off for though..

soonerbillz

So after reviewing all the info on the Dyna S and Vape systems .. and reading as much on them in this forum and others, I've decided to just bite the bullet and get the Vape. Seems silly the get squirmy over a difference of around $150 when i can eliminate all the problems that the stock alternator and ignition brings..
Pricey for sure though.

85RZwade

I have one that looks just like yours! Maybe some WD-40 and a wire brush...?
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 19, 2021, 04:10:19 PM
I have one that looks just like yours! Maybe some WD-40 and a wire brush...?

LOL!
My 70 AT1 was just as bad.. plus it had the same issue with the starter generator. But it cleaned up ok and after points condensor and new carbon brushes it actually works ok. They just be scary to look at!  :evil:

pidjones

Quote from: soonerbillz on April 19, 2021, 06:58:14 AM
Ok.. thats what I fiqured.. looks like I'll have a bit of fab and welding to do.
I can imagine why it was cut off for though..
Probably wrecked enough times to knock it off. Mine was hit hard enough to bend one side far enough to let the upper fork clamp bolt hit the tank. I've repaired the tank and have a temporary bumper made out of a zip tie glued on for now. They are useful to prevent tank damage. Find an RD tank with front upper corner dents, and you'll probably find damaged fork stops.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

AAAltered

Here's mine after it's Sandy salt water bath....

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

soonerbillz

That's so sad....
Prayers offered.

m in sc

i just put a vape on my 72 R5. didnt feel like messing with it.. and i have boxes of stock alternators.

soonerbillz

Quote from: m in sc on April 20, 2021, 10:55:34 AM
i just put a vape on my 72 R5. didnt feel like messing with it.. and i have boxes of stock alternators.

As this bike is going to be a regular rider the choice was pretty easy. Same for going with the RD trans and clutch. 
I know I said earlier that I was going to keep the stock exhaust.. I really haven't changed my mind 100%... but I am wondering :rolleyes:

m in sc

well, that was my reason as well. reliable and done.
I literally have had the chambers laying around for a decade or so, so i tossed them on. I would not have been heartbroken if they sucked, but my 70 has the stock pipes so i figured one stocker was enough. that has a dyna on it and its dead stone reliable.

soonerbillz

Quote from: m in sc on April 20, 2021, 11:53:06 AM
well, that was my reason as well. reliable and done.
I literally have had the chambers laying around for a decade or so, so i tossed them on. I would not have been heartbroken if they sucked, but my 70 has the stock pipes so i figured one stocker was enough. that has a dyna on it and its dead stone reliable.

Excellent!
Plus your write up on your R5 thread will be very helpful for my installation.  Thanks!

soonerbillz

So... I  have pulled a lot of side covers..
I really think they used epoxy to put this one one.. been tapping chipping looking for that one weak place..
To no avail
Really hoping to not destroy something here
:huh: :huh:

soonerbillz

Yep.. 100% certain they epoxyed the cover on..  :evil:
15 minutes of heat and it still is stuck. Have me super thin scraper hammered through and this is as far as I  got..

soonerbillz

I'm not idiot.. all my enduros ..the pump cover screws only go through shallow..
Is this broken off screw going all the way to the case?

m in sc

no, that one only threads into the cover not all the way through