News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Howdy, bringing back an R5 from the dead.

Started by RD4140, December 17, 2021, 08:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD4140

:help: Weird, yeh when they upload they appear then disappear. AH well.

I'll see if the attachment thing works.

m in sc

that works. linking a view link from a google account or other doesn't always work as you typically need to be on THAT platform to view it (i did look at the code you posted). attachments work best for the most part, but they need to be under 6mb. that should be plenty.  also it limits the image size to 5000x5000 pixels.

in general (for all) so, if you are running max resolution on your i-phone and the pic wont post, resize it. If you don't know how, that's on you as i don't use an i phone.

:twocents:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-resize-an-image-on-iphone

85RZwade

Do you need a GSX-R axle? I have one I'm not going to use.
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

it looks like the bike didn't skip arm day. Beefy  :bacon:

RDFL

RD4140

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 02, 2022, 04:50:36 PM
Do you need a GSX-R axle? I have one I'm not going to use.

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'd already ordered one on Fleabay. 

RD4140

The roller bearing recommended by all balls for the fork swap (actually, there's no recommendation available for a 1970 R5, so went with the oldest RD - 30x48x12) is fine for the bottom of the stem, but the top of the neck is much more shallow so part of the bearing protrudes, rendering the dust seal useless.

I'm trying to source a bearing that is the same ID/OD but just 8mm width. The all balls site sucks for finding single bearings.

Worse case I figure I can run balls up top again.

The longer stem from the GSXR is kinda unsightly but will be functional enough. Had to run a fat washer to give me enough thread to work with or else the slotted nuts would bottom out.

pidjones

On my RD400, I just replaced the lower with rollers. The upper sees a lot less abuse.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

teazer

Find or make a thin wall cup shaped dust cover.  Stock RD/R5 style should work.

m in sc

yeah i made spacers to move my bearing races around on the stem on the lower tree. been that way for a decade, still kicking it.

soonerbillz

On my EX250 racer I put 95 Honda F3 forks on them
Total improved handling.  The EX neck axle fit into the f3 tree good but welded it up anyways.  Works very well.
I have a F4 fork and hope to do the same on my other R5.

85RZwade

Quote from: m in sc on January 03, 2022, 10:53:40 AM
yeah i made spacers to move my bearing races around on the stem on the lower tree. been that way for a decade, still kicking it.

Do you have a spacer below the lower race on the triple clamp?
I post waayyy too much

RD4140

m in sc

lower clamp has a spacer under the inner race that took it right to the edge of the curve. on the top, i actually turned the stem down a bit to get the narrower upper race down on the stem a bit. like maybe 1/4" ? wasnt much.

on another bike (an old bsa my buddy has), i actually made a spacer that sat int he neck bearing race and took up the space. long story but it was to fit a kawasaki h1 front end on it. worked great. probably the only bsa gold star with an h1-e front end on it anywhere. 

RD4140

Howdy,

Hey does anyone have a photo or any details of how they've retrofitted a rear brake master cylinder to a R5/350?