News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

I'd look for an appropriate forum of FB group and ask on there for help identifying their intended fitment.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Czakky

You need the RG that goes with em now!

SoCal250

Quote from: 85RZwade on July 04, 2020, 06:57:55 PM
So, they are NOT RZ pipes, but I'm not complaining. I bought impetuously, I own it and I own them, so the next step is to figure out how to use 'em. More later

Quote from: Czakky on July 04, 2020, 09:45:18 PM
You need the RG that goes with em now!

You should have planned ahead and bought this last year  ;D
http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=190.msg1037#msg1037
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

85RZwade

Yeah...planning ahead is clearly not my strong suit! They're '86-87 RG250 units from what I have found, but the thing is I like 'em. They have a purposeful, workmanlike look to them that appeals to me, somewhat like OEM TZ pipes. I'm toying with the idea of blending them with the stock Elsie pipes, which have bigger headpipes and the proper mounting flanges. Figure I'll do some measuring and see if their dimensions make any sense for the LC engine, and if they're just dumb I guess sell 'em. RG forum like Jim suggested is probably the best place.
'Kay, gotta get back to the party, fireworks soon. Happy 4th, guys!
I post waayyy too much

toffee

it might take a good bit of work to get them fitted.
might be better to get a set specifically for an lc/tz/rd
"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

85RZwade

True statement and good advice. I think mounting them will be fairly straightforward; I've thought of replacing the header pipes with those of stock RD350LC pipes, simplifying the connection at the cylinders and determining the position and path needed. Then it's mostly a matter of clearing the tire and establishing mounting points for the rear of the pipes and for the mufflers.
The greater concern, I think, is whether pipes designed for 125 cylinders will perform well mated to 175 cylinders, and I need to dust off some reading material to refresh what I think I know about that topic. I like the look of these pipes for the end result I have in mind, but who wants a slow motorcycle? If their dimensions aren't suitable, I'll run the DGs I bought.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Maybe someone here will have insight in adapting pipes designed for a 250 to a 350! :whistle:
I post waayyy too much

toffee

"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

85RZwade

None other than looking at 'em as I pass through the barn! It's been a busy summer and other bikes have been getting my attention. For instance, I have to pull the clutch cover from my KTM tonight to fix its shifting problem , then fix a couple of lawnmowers and I probably should mow the lawn...
I post waayyy too much

toffee

yup, it can be frustrating when other things get in the way
and demand our attention.

teazer

All I can tell you is that they work really well on a mildly ported RG250.  At least they did on my son's RG250 that is long gone.

They are quite small volume, but it you can adapt them to fit, they will probably work on the 350.  Try them.  What do you have to lose except time and money

85RZwade

:metal: just the kind of devil-may-care input I was waiting for, teaser! We're playing with old motorcycles here, so concerns about time and money went out the proverbial window long ago. Time to make some sparks.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

A little progress. Mounted a set of BT45s late of the RZ350 so it'll have some shoes to stand on; they're old and I didn't pay attention to direction of rotation or the balance dots as they're for mock-up only.

I think they look pretty sexy.
I post waayyy too much

toffee

yup looking good, they are a popular tyre choice.
are you going to refit them?

85RZwade

Nah, this set is old and hard but they'll do for rim protectors. I think I'm going to try the Continental radials for this machine when it's done.
I post waayyy too much