News:

Neat little oddball bike, zero info.

Main Menu

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins

Started by Kawtriplefreak, October 24, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpke

Nice caliper adapter parts there Tim. What was the $$$ to your doorstep?
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

Today's 15 minutes of fun time while my tractor was warming up to feed the cows:

Apparently the previous owner lost or discarded the hardware that keeps the headlight bucket from flopping and rotating. So I went through my KAW Triple turn signal parts pile and found a set.

Two minutes of shaping with my trusty bench grinder to match the rubber. Basically I ground off one of the nubs and it fits perfectly.

Fixed.

kpke

Never ending fun stuff, eh? That tire you have the part resting on in the photo is going to try to kill you.  :eek: Looks like hard plastic.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

Kawtriplefreak

Yep. That bike sat for a long time. That tire is saturated with oil from the leaking fork seals as well. I have new BT46s to go on it. It will never be ridden with the old tires...

Kawtriplefreak

Normal life has interfered with progress this week. I did manage to get the chamber flanges cleaned, bead blasted and painted. My 19 year old bead blasting machine stopped working while I was bead blasting the springs so I need to investigate what is wrong with it at some point. I called the company and described the symptoms and they said it is likely a worn out orifice inside the gun. Please excuse the dirt on the shop floor. It is quite muddy and my Kubota spends the winter inside so it will start.

Kawtriplefreak

I am quite pleased with the Yambits exhaust gaskets. I put some high temp RTV on the crush washer that goes in the exhaust port to hold it in place and a l put a light coat on both sides of the flanges gasket.

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

On to the intakes:

I know it isn't required but I use 2 gaskets on the intakes and I use Permatex anaerobic gasket sealer ( thanks to M in SC for the heads up on the sealant) :patriot: Gaskets just like good oil are cheap and motors are expensive. Intake leaks will kill a motor.

Kawtriplefreak

I added stainless lock washers to the stock bolts after a good clean up and chased all the threads in the holes.

Kawtriplefreak

On to carburetors

After another consultation with M in SC I decided to use the original VM28s off of my 75 RD350 in lieu of the factory 26s. I made good use of my new Vevor ultrasonic machine with a 50/50 mix of Berrymans carb cleaner and WD 40 in my big jar with the carb bodies (and all the brass in a mesh basket) Props again to M in SC for giving me the witch's brew ingredients. I recommend to anybody that cleans carbs or old bike parts to buy an ultrasonic. It makes a horrible job that I always dread easy. Not to mention it minimizes exposure to all kinds of toxins that none of us need to get on our skin. To that point, I had to buy a new gallon of Berrymans before this job as my old can was eaten through from the inside and the solvent leaked out and evaporated.

Kawtriplefreak

The 28 fits right in to the factory 26MM intake rubber.

Kawtriplefreak

My NOS 98 R1 black brake lever ( eBay $24.97 shipped) Now the levers match. All in all a productive 5 hour escape from life's stresses in the shop. One step closer. Next on the agenda is mounting and wiring the R6 cooling fan. Then the radiator can go back on.

dgorms

rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

m in sc

getting there.   :vroom: :toot:

willa  y boot fit in there? if so shoot me a text.