News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

1975 RD350(LC) Preservation-mod Hellride

Started by irk_miller, August 06, 2021, 10:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irk_miller

I recently joined the forum as I'm diving into the deep end with 2 strokes.  The build begins over on Do The Ton, where Teazer has been loads of help and a wealth of information so far.  It's pretty cool the willingness for 2T guys to share information.  I figure I'll run parallel threads and absorb as much as I can

This summer, I took a trip to a buddy's house in Ohio to trade a trailer load of bikes.  In the haul I brought back to Georgia was an IT200, several bins full of RD parts and a titled 75 frame.  There's a vintage fiberglass race fairing, tank and seat to build around.  I had considered building a legit race bike, but have opted instead to build a street bike that plays on track days. 

This is as it sits today. 

The mock-up includes a GSXR front end, Radian Swingarm and wheels from an 87 ZX600.  The pile includes an LC top end, a Banshee manifold and I think YZ85 reeds.  Stock carbs are also in the bin.  I'm also trying to identify the crank, which I've been told is a TZ/RD hybrid.  Not sure how I confirm that information.

85RZwade

Cool stuff! I looked high and low for an IT200 a few years ago for my boys to no avail. They ended up on false-strokes  :busey:
Love the Frankenbike combination of parts, and that's the nicest radiator I've seen since last Friday (when mine arrived).
I post waayyy too much

irk_miller

Quote from: 85RZwade on August 07, 2021, 12:45:32 AM
Cool stuff! I looked high and low for an IT200 a few years ago for my boys to no avail. They ended up on false-strokes  :busey:
Love the Frankenbike combination of parts, and that's the nicest radiator I've seen since last Friday (when mine arrived).
My IT isn't in the best of shape, though it runs really well, so I should be able to sort it out just fine.  It came with an 80s Honda XR250 tank, the wrong front wheel, the shift lever (broken) welded to the shift shaft, the swing arm cut through by the kickstand (now missing), no side covers or fairing,  and no seat.  I was able to get the seat and a tank at Mid Ohio, and I ordered the shift lever and shaft off of Ebay.  Already ordered side covers from DC Plastics. 

irk_miller

These are some pipes.  With the porting and the pipes, I'm expecting a wild ride.  I'm probably small on carburetor at the moment, but that's for another day.  I'm being told I have a little more wiggle with the liquid cool, but that remains to be seen. 

Czakky

:righteous: this is going to fun. Thanks for sharing.

irk_miller

I lost track of this thread and had to do some digging to bring it back up.  Sorry to let it drop for so long.  I'll update as best I can.  Definitely some mistakes and changes along the way, so I can admit to those too. 

First big change goes to swapping the EX wheels for GL1000 wheels.  I like to build 17" wheels from GL1000 aluminum DID rear rims, GL1000 front hubs and CB550 rear (drum) hubs.  96/97 YZF600r Thundercat rotors fit the bolt pattern and provide a 300mm dual disc option. 

Then, I decided to try out the same year Thundercat front end, which didn't fit right at all.

This pic also shows my location of the radiator.  The cross bar on the front of the frame forces two very different options for location.  I chose lot lower option, which means it has to be tilted out to clear the pipes.  Been questioning this mount the whole time, but still sticking with it.  I prefer the rad to be inline with the engine and I'm not sure if I'll get interference with the triple going high.

I had the head decked by Mototech US to raise.  Running a compression check after build gets me 135 on both cylinders. 

Made some spigots for the pipes.  I need to learn how these can effect tune, but I matched the exhaust port on ID. 

Then I changed side covers.

irk_miller

Water pump mounting.  I'm running pre-mix, at least in this iteration, and running the water pump in the cover.  I altered a spare cover to make it all work.

Also running TM32 carbs.  I'll get into air side contraptions later.

m in sc

oh shit! i love that pump. talk to me about it. the tz pump i have on my hybrid is great, but i really like that.  :toot:

85RZwade

:love: love it :love: love it :love: love it :love:
I post waayyy too much

irk_miller

Quote from: m in sc on January 02, 2022, 04:42:28 PM
oh shit! i love that pump. talk to me about it. the tz pump i have on my hybrid is great, but i really like that.  :toot:

I've seen 100 iterations of the same pump all over the internet, but this one is listed as an inverter cooler water pump for a Toyota Prius on Amazon. It's under $30.  I'll report any failures, or other issues if they arise.  I think it will work great. The motor and electrics are potted into the back of the casing, so I was able to cut away all the mounting tabs to fit it into the RD case.  It's pretty snug and held tight by the top cover, but a nice fit.

irk_miller

Here's where questionable decisions may be beginning:

I got a pair of YZ reed cages, but instead of opening the boxes on the head I shaved the edges of the reed cages on a surface plate. It took a ton of time, and I hope they aren't thin to the point of being an issue.  They slid in nice and clean and the follow the head pretty close. 

irk_miller

This is the airbox.  All nice and smooth with clean transitions inside.  Not expecting gains, just hoping no losses.  I added the boost tube, as well.  I know there are mixed philosophies on the effectiveness of a boost tube, but I figure Yamaha was onto something when they put crossovers on RZs, so when a friend suggested one I got it.

m in sc

i was wondering how you were doing that, saw the pic int he other thread, thats an interesting solution. I like it, should work well. the crossover reminds me of a car exhaust.

I finally just gave up and run big long unis crossed over each other.  :cheers:

85RZwade

Never seen that before; sick! You might be able to sell a couple of those. Interested to hear about your results. Could ya hurry? :wave:
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

I squeezed a Ramair into mine. The squished up crossed over unis just didnt look right for me.
This one has a metal backing plate, but I am waiting on delivery of an all foam version that I hope will just fit over the rear of the carbs